5 Important Signs Of a Gas Leak On Your Property

Submitted by Zenka Hattingh

on Tue, 08/15/2017 - 09:05

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of an unnoticed gas leak in your home or place of business – often resulting in serious physical illness and even death. However, it is possible to detect a dangerous gas leak in your property by keeping a few signs in mind – ensuring that it never gets to the point where you’re in serious trouble. Remember, carbon monoxide poisoning is preventative by installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

Here’s how you can tell if there’s a CO gas leak in your house:

1. Flu-like symptoms

Since carbon monoxide poisoning similarly represents that of flu, many people commonly confuse it for simply being sick. However, if you do notice indigestion, headaches, nausea, and light-headedness and you also have a gas stove or heater situated in your home, it’s best to second guess your symptoms before they turn into something a little bit serious. Remember, rather be safe than sorry – possibly saving yourself and your loved ones in the case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

2. Burning smell

The burning smell may not be directly associated with carbon monoxide but it could be closely related with other gasses being emitted by malfunctioning appliances, which is why it’s extremely important to install a gas leak detector to prevent serious injury. When trying to identify signs of a gas leak on your property, always be aware of the small details that most people would overlook.

Read: How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: 7 Tips

3. Stale, stuffy smell

If your home is clean but contains a stale, stuffy smell, you may want to inspect your appliances for a possible gas leak. It may be a small and subtle sign, but it could potentially save your health in the long term. Remember, carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas which is very difficult to detect which is why you need to ensure that your heater is installed by a licenced and accredited gas fitter to ensure accuracy and safety within your home.

4. Moisture on windows

As it could be a sign of excessive moisture in your home, it’s important to rule out that particular possibility when finding moisture on your windows. However, if the window is placed in close proximity to a fuel-burning appliance and contains moisture, it could also be a sign of a gas leak in your house. Again, it’s important to pay attention to the small details in order to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

5. Pilot light inconsistencies

An inconsistent pilot light on your stove could mean that it’s malfunctioning and could possibly be emitting carbon monoxide. Also, if the pilot light and flame are always blue, switching to yellow, it could be worth inspecting to ensure that your pilot light isn’t malfunctioning. At the end of the day, it’s important to regularly inspect your appliances for a possible gas leak in order to prevent your family and yourself from falling ill. The signs may be subtle and could even represent similar scenarios, but it’s best to second guess yourself if you do happen to have fuel-burning appliances.

As a fully licenced and accredited gas fitter based in Melbourne’s Western Suburbs and servicing the C.B.D., Western and Northern Suburbs, we’re well equipped to install industrial and commercial gas fittings in order to ensure safety inside your home.

Detecting a gas leak in time can save your family’s life, which is why it’s important to keep a close eye on the above-mentioned signs of a gas leak. If you do suspect a gas leak, please don’t hesitate to contact our team of professional repair and maintenance personnel.

Sources: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-tell-if-carbon-monoxide-is-present-in-your-home

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-spot-signs-of-a-gas-leak-2718710