Are your gas fittings keeping you safe from gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning?

Gas fittings and gas leak detectors

Are you aware of the silent dangers that may be lurking in your property? You may have heard carbon monoxide referred to as ‘the silent killer.’ (See this article on Wikipedia about carbon monoxide poisoning) This is an apt name, because it is extremely dangerous, but very hard to detect. It cannot be seen. And it has no odour, so identifying a leak is near impossible without the right safety tools and precautions. The bottom line is that carbon monoxide from any kind of gas fitting has the potential to cause fatalities if not stopped very quickly.

A 2013 Forbes article claimed that up to 30,000 people in the United States die annually from carbon monoxide poisoning. This is why gas safety is absolutely paramount that properties with gas powered boilers, stoves, cookers, and other appliances.

Any kind of gas fitting can develop a dangerous leak, you need to carry out regular plumbing maintenance and inspect appliances for faults at least once every 2-3 months. All properties should be fitted with carbon monoxide detectors. These devices work much in the same way as smoke alarms, with the only difference being that they go off if they pick up carbon monoxide in the air.
This guide to carbon monoxide safety will help you make sure that your home never becomes a risk.

Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

In homes that pay for regular services for their gas appliances, carbon monoxide leaks are very rare. However, it is impossible to predict if or when a gas fitting will break down, so detectors are needed as an extra precaution. In workplaces, they are a legal requirement, because they keep employees safe. While the law can’t make you install one in your home, it does strongly advise that you do so. These alarms are relatively cheap to buy and can be installed in a matter of minutes. If they detect gas, they start to beep as a way to alert you to the danger.

Get Your Boiler Serviced

The boiler may be the workhorse of your home, but it can also be a killer if you don’t take proper care of it. The majority of newer units are powered by electric now, because it is less risky, but there are still plenty of older gas driven models out there. If you have a gas boiler, invest in efficient tune up services and professional inspections with the Banjo experts. We’ll send a qualified and trained professional round to your home. They’ll scrutinise the condition of all gas fittings and appliances in the property. If any pressing problems are identified, they can fix them on the spot and you’ll get to enjoy greater peace of mind.

Invest in an Extractor Fan

For homes with gas stoves, an extractor fan is also a good idea. While it shouldn’t be used as a replacement for a proper carbon monoxide detector, it is a fast and efficient way for noxious fumes to be driven out if necessary. If you only buy one detector or alarm, we recommend that you place it as close to the kitchen as you can, because most properties also keep their boilers here. In the unlikely event that your detector starts to beep, turn on the extractor fan, open all of the windows, and leave the house immediately.

Use Your Common Sense

Thirty years ago, we didn’t know anywhere near as much about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as we do now. There were more deaths, because people did incredibly risky things like using gas stoves to heat the house or leaving their car engines running in enclosed spaces. We are now aware that these things are dangerous, so use your common sense to easily avoid dangerous situations.

If you suspect that a gas appliance has a fault, don’t use it. Get in touch with the expert repair and maintenance team at Banjo. Our team of plumbers in Williamstown are committed to keeping your home and family safe.