The Difference Between Type A and B Gas Appliances

When you manage or own any property, we’re sure safety is a top priority for you. For anyone using the facilities on your property, whether it’s your family or your employees, you need to know they can do so without unnecessary risk. Few things on site are as important to manage as your gas infrastructure.

A wise step to take is to get educated on the requirements and details of this industry. This will help you plan maintenance and know when to employ a gas fitter Melbourne residents and business owners can trust to help them keep their properties in line with the law and easy to utilise.

To reach this goal, have you done your homework when it comes to gas appliances on your premises? Can you correctly identify which ones are type A or type B? Let’s help you with a quick guideline.


Differences in Gas Appliances – Type A and Type B

Any gas appliance in Australia will fall into one of two categories.

Firstly, there are type A gas appliances which you’ll usually find on any residential property, such as:

  • The top of your gas stove
  • A hot water system
  • Gas refrigerators
  • A barbecue that uses gas from a cylinder
  • A pizza oven

You can see these items are often mass-produced and according to regulations set out in AS/NZS 5601, a certification scheme exists for any item belonging to this type. In some cases, a type A appliance can also be sufficient for use on an industrial site.

In contrast, a type B gas appliance doesn’t have a certification system. This definition is set out in AS/NZS 5601 and refers to a unit where the gas consumption is more than 10 MJ/hour. These appliances need to be sufficient for the requirements on an industrial site, so a type B unit won’t easily be found on a domestic property; they’re more commonly found in a commercial environment.


Difference in Maintenance

An important thing any property owner needs to know is that all your gas appliances can’t necessarily be serviced or even installed by the same company. For the second category we mentioned above, your service provider requires special training and must be authorised to deliver work relating to type B systems.

For type A gas appliances, only a general gas work license is usually required. If someone wants to work on your type B appliances, you must enquire whether they have gas work authorisation to supply this service. This authorisation can also be for one of several categories, including motor fuel, servicing, industrial appliances or major projects.

As the responsible party for your property, you need to check the license of anyone you employ to work on your gas appliances. This is especially important when it comes to commercial plumbing, whether for maintenance or installation. Is the company legally certified to work on your type B systems?


Get the Right People for the Job

As commercial plumbers Melbourne locals have trusted for decades, whether you have type A or B gas appliances on your premises, let Banjo Nominees get you sorted. Trust the right team, with the necessary qualifications, so you know your maintenance and appliances are up to standard.

Simply request a quote online or talk to us on 03 9397 1111.