Keeping warm in the middle of winter or finding a less expensive means for cooking often results in using gas to fulfil those needs. However, as with electricity, gas also poses its own set of risks which can result in a gas leak leading to serious illness often mistaken for flu-like symptoms. Thus, it’s important to always keep a close eye on your appliances to notice any slight changes to your living environment and overall well-being.
If you do find yourself in a position where you’ve discovered a gas leak in your home, it’s important to know what to do in order to prevent further illness and long-term damage. What happens if there’s a gas leak in your home? Follow these steps:
Step 1: Open the windows and doors
It’s important to allow proper ventilation during a gas leak in order to get rid of any accumulating gas in the room which may have already been affecting your health and the well-being of those sharing your home. Open the front and back doors to create a nice breeze, open the windows, and ensure that the room becomes less stuffy.
Step 2: Switch off gas appliances
After ensuring that all the doors and windows are open in order to create a breeze, it’s then important to ensure that all of your gas appliances are switched off. It’s no use creating a breeze when your appliances are still leaking gas. Prevent lighting a cigarette and bringing an open flame close to where you suspect a gas leak. This could result in an explosion – turning a simple gas leak into a much bigger problem.
Step 3: Visit the hospital
If you do suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s important to call a doctor or visit the hospital in order to treat your symptoms. Remember, carbon monoxide poisoning can mimic flu-like symptoms – covering up quite a serious problem which would prevent you going to the hospital. Getting treatment for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning can potentially save your life. Thus, if you do has gas appliances in your home, it’s always a good idea to keep a gas leak in the back of your mind when experiencing flu-like symptoms.
Step 4: Call a fully licensed and accredited gas installer
Knowing exactly how to install gas appliances, fully licensed and accredited gas installers – such as the team of plumbers in Williamstown – are well equipped and fully trained to handle any gas fitting requirement – ensuring that the client’s needs remain a top priority. Thus, it’s never a good idea to install your gas appliances without proper training – preventing a possible gas leak in your home.
Step 5: Install a gas leak detector
Most importantly, if you don’t have one already, it’s crucial to have a fully functional carbon monoxide detector installed in order to detect a possible gas leak in your home. If not, you may be caught by surprise with a few nasty physical symptoms. Since carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas, it’ll be extremely difficult to detect without a gas leak detector to guide you along the way.
The signs of a gas leak may be subtle and often resemble relating illnesses or scenarios, thus, it’s important to follow certain gas leak prevention tips to avoid falling ill in the first place. Always implement the expertise of an accredited gas installer to ensure that your appliances are in top-notch condition and your remains safe from a potential gas leak.
Remember, carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable by following correct procedures. Banjo Nominees is a fully licenced and accredited gas fitter based in Melbourne – boasting over 55 years of experience. Contact us for a reliable quote on gas fitting and commercial plumbing services.